You may have seen misinformation and rumors on social media regarding Monsanto, the Zika virus and microcephaly. Unfortunately, this misinformation causes unwarranted fear and distracts from the health crisis at hand and how you can take steps to protect you and your family. Here are some facts:
- Neither Monsanto nor our products have any connection to the Zika virus or microcephaly.
- Monsanto does not manufacture or sell Pyriproxyfen.
- Monsanto does not own Sumitomo Chemical Company. However, Sumitomo Chemical Company is one of our business partners in the area of crop protection.
- Glyphosate is not connected in any way to the Zika virus or microcephaly.
- GMOs have no role in the Zika virus or microcephaly.
The Zika virus is a tragic and critical health issue. Dealing effectively with such an important health threat requires a focus on the facts. As a science-based company working to help meet some of the world’s biggest challenges we support all efforts to combat this health crisis. We hope all efforts will be taken based on the facts, not rumors.
Further news coverage:
- A Viral Story Links The Zika Crisis to Monsanto. Don’t Believe it. HuffPost Healthy Living
- A wacky conspiracy is circulating about Zika and GMOs – and it needs to stop Business Insider
- No, Monsanto is not to Blame for Microcephaly Slate Magazine
- How Monsanto Got Stung by a Zika Virus Conspiracy Theory Fortune Managzine
- Combating Zika Conspiracy Theories PopSci
- A bogus theory connecting Zika virus to Monsanto could give mosquitoes a boost Grist